Thursday, February 4, 2010

Application Letter Critique

Hey everyone,

I'm writing an application letter for a teaching position with MOE. Here's the job application ad from the website. My application letter can be found after the ad.



Inspire. Be a Teacher.

“Are You The Right One?”

Not everyone can be a teacher. Not only must you have the passion for education, you need to know how to engage the students in their learning, be a good role model and an inspiration to them and prepare them for the challenges of life.

A teacher is the heart and soul of a class, the pulse that keeps a lesson lively and engaging. Teaching as a career is an exciting journey filled with challenges and rewards. You play a critical role in nurturing the spirit of innovation and the passion for learning in our young, grooming them into all-round individuals. In turn, you will grow both as a person and a professional. Come take up this meaningful career and experience the wonders of teaching.

We recognise that our teachers have different aspirations. The teaching profession provides a challenging and enriching career with varied fields of excellence that cater to your talents, abilities and aspirations. Explore the various career options you can pursue!

http://www.moe.gov.sg/careers/teach/

----------------------- Sample Application Letter -------------------------

Luo Dongyi Benedict
Blk1 Bedok North Road #02-34
Singapore 567890

5 Feb 2010

Mr Tan Li Teck
Recruitment Manager
Ministry of Education, Singapore
1 North Buona Vista Drive
Singapore 138675

Dear Mr Tan

RE: Application for Secondary Level Teaching Position at MOE

I am writing to apply for a secondary level teaching position at the Ministry of Education. I was present at the career talk in NUS on 27 Jan 2010 and submitted my interest for this position. I am very keen to explore a career in teaching as I have a deep passion for such a vocation. I believe my personality and skill sets are especially compatible with your expectations and will be a valuable asset to the teaching profession of the MOE.

My undergraduate study in engineering has provided me with a practical set of skills in the applications of math and science. In particular, I enjoy analyzing problems and proposing different creative solutions to them. I build this investigative and flexible approach into the opportunities I am given to teach as well. A tuition student of mine remarked that she enjoyed our math lessons because of the different perspectives I encouraged her to take at problem solving. It bears a note that because of her newly discovered joy of learning, she improved 3 grades in the short amount of 3 months that I had to cover the secondary 2 syllabus with her.

However, I also believe that technical proficiencies are not enough in the reality of teaching. Engaging students through effective communication is just as important. I consider that I am an excellent communicator, with lots of experience in public speaking, group facilitation and team building. I have been a beneficiary of 2 years National Service at the SAF Counselling Centre where I developed an excellent set of people skills. The ability to listen, patience to understand and heart to connect with others, are some of the fruits of this experience.

Most importantly, I think a critical quality that enables me to be an effective teacher is the ability to inspire, to touch the hearts of others. Something that I appreciate dearly was when the students of my religious education class asked me after my first year with them to stay on as their formator. It helped me realize that this gift of teaching was not to be put under a basket; but on a lamp stand where it can be effectively used and passed on to others.

I would like to conclude by restating my interest to explore a career in teaching. I greatly appreciate if you refer to the enclosed resume, which summarizes my qualifications, training and experience. I look forward to an opportunity to further discuss my credentials at an interview. I can be reached at 91726182. Thank you very much for your time!

Yours sincerely
Benedict Luo

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benedict
    I think you cover is very nicely done up. Just a point you might like to note. I do feel that the cover is a little bit too long. How about trying to keep to 3 (at most 4) paragraphs? It would be great to summarise your very relevant skill sets into one main body rather than have one paragraph per point. As a reader i was quite daunted by the length of it and i think a tired HR manager going through tons of covers will feel must worst don't you think.
    Well just something for you to ponder

    see you Monday ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Benedict,

    I think you have written a very good application letter. All the examples that you have illustrated are certainly relevant in the field of teaching. You have demonstrated the extra mile you have taken to improve your students’ grade as well as the leadership skills which are necessary traits for a teacher. I feel that such relevant and positive examples that you included certainly put you at an advantage over others. Also, by illustrating the passion you have in teaching and the good comments you have received from your students, it certainly create the interest needed for the employer to select you for an interview. Perhaps you can include the students’ parents or the employer responsible for the tuition class as referral to further support your application. Also, maybe the statement on your enclosed resume should be shifted up to the first paragraph instead of at the end. Not sure about that though.

    Cheers,
    Weixi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Benedict,

    I think you've written a good application letter. You have clearly highlighted your passion for teaching as well as the qualities that are essential for you to take up this teaching post.

    Another interesting highlight that you brought out was going the extra miloe to help out this student of yours, truly highlighting your dedication as a teacher. As mentioned by Weixi, you might want to use this as a point for referral as it will boost your chances in getting a successful application.

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Benedict,

    I think that your application letter is very well written! It has clearly stated all the skills and abilities that you posses to become an effective teacher! Also, you mention being a Counsellor in army, I think this will impress the future employer as that is a unique experience that is very relevant to the job as teacher. You also gave a real life example how you are able to touch someone life, which also show your passion in teaching, not only teach them knowledge but change their life too!

    For paragraph 3, I think that you should removed the word “However” as an opening word, it sound negative, how about just write “I believe that…” , I think that would sound better and more positive.

    Yup, that’s all, it’s really a good piece of application letter!

    Cheers,
    guoren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Benedict,

    Nice application letter you have there. You really portray the sets of skills you have neatly.

    However, maybe you should state your major and the specific subjects that your are interested in teaching?
    For example Civil engineering is allowed to teach Maths, Physics and D&T. As far as I know, secondary school teachers have to teach at least two subject. So its best to state what subjects you are interested in teaching.

    Take Care,
    SiJie

    ReplyDelete