Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oral Presentation – A Reflection


My Oral Presentation

Preparation

Personally, what I really liked about my ES2007S oral presentation was the amount of behind the scenes preparation that actually went into it. It is much more that what I'm normally used to. Let's take the slide pasted above as an example. One simple title slide like this and I think I can give a five minute oral presentation just on how it came about. haha.

1. It wasn't easy finding suitable pictures for everything, even harder to find the right places to put them in. That nice picture on the slide with the circled word research was initially not going to be used anywhere, because the colours of the theme could not match it. Until we tweaked a few things and found the perfect place for it that is.

2. Choosing a theme for the presentation required discussion too. Should we have one? How about leaving it in white? What if its not professional enough? I'm quite sure at least some groups would have gone through the same tedious thought processes too. Fortunately, one of Aish's and Madhu's friends assured us. Hey simple = nice. White = simple. White = nice. Stick with it.

3. See that red/gray line at the bottom. Even that had thought put into it. It's supposed to be a timeline to let the audience know at which stage of the presentation we are at, something like the bars at the bottom of a survey.

Delivery

Hmm I would rate my delivery on Monday as average I guess. Didn't internalise my script as well as I would have liked so I ended up having to look at it fairly often. That broke up my train of thought and the speech a bit.

Judging from some of the facial expressions in the audience, I may not have been clear and convincing when selling the presentation.

A good point, maybe I'm speaking a bit louder now.

Slides and Audiovisual

Well this was probably the best part of the presentation. Thought the slides were nice! Mainly lots of fantastic work from Madhu and Aish. Cheers to you group mates :D

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Ben!

    Firstly, I completely understand fussing over the slides. The aesthetics are indeed a really important part of the presentation. But it's a fine line that separates capturing the audience's attention and in fact distracting them. By the way, like your simplicity equation. And your slides turned out really nice!

    As for your delivery, let me say that you have a very pleasant disposition and that really goes a long way in having people listen to you for more than a minute =]. However, I think you should try to speak a little bit louder. Also, you said 'lah' quite a bit during your responses in the Q&A. Might be something you would like to take note of in the future.

    On the overall though, I think you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benedict,

    Well done on your team’s presentation that day. I would say your presentation slides are decorated nicely, complementing the content that is to be presented. I agree with what you mentioned in the blog regarding the use of timeline in the presentation slides. The timeline will indeed allow the audience to have a better awareness as to which stage of the presentation you are at.

    One thing I noticed during your presentation is that you tend to use “okay” at the end of your every sentence. Perhaps you can work on it to make your presentation more formal. In addition, I thought your voice projection was a little soft that day, but other than that, good use of gestures. I, too, feel that you displayed confidence during the presentation, which further helps to convince the audience that you are sure of what you are saying, thereby driving home the point you are trying to bring across.

    Overall, I think you did a great job for your presentation. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Benedict,

    I have always enjoyed your presentation and I thought you did well on your last presentation.
    Your delivery is always smooth and pleasant to listen to. Yes, I agree with Jayanthi that you could have spoken a little louder during your presentations.
    All the best in your final term paper!

    ReplyDelete