Monday, April 19, 2010

A Final Reflection

ES2007S has been a very enriching experience for me. I took the module because I thought it sounded fun, there was stuff I wanted to learn from it, and best of all was non-examinable. But the last reason was the most misleading one, thinking it would be light easy certainly didn’t make it so haha.

But looking back now, it was truly quite a fun learning experience. The interactive classroom discussions were so lively and positive; I can’t remember ever taking a module that was anything like this before. Everyone chipped in to make classroom learning lots of fun and that really added value to the process. Our constant giving and receiving feedback was very useful as I thought that really helped me improve myself.

Doing the mock interviews was really cool, it totally blew my mind away with what sort of questions interviewers can actually ask haha. I shall certainly remember ‘demonstrate to me how you would teach the difference between mass and weight’ and ‘give me 10 ways you can use a pencil differently’.

Group project work was intense and at times I felt like I was never going to make it out alive with FYP, but my group mates were very supportive and kept on pushing us forward. In fact I felt humbled working with them, they never complained even with all their own work and FYPs and just kept going. It certainly helped me understand how important perseverance is at the end of the day.

Other useful skills I’ve improved over this semester would probably be learning how to write a proposal, conduct interviews, make good presentations and write an application letter and resume. These are certainly very useful skills to have in the future.

Best thing of all, I made friends in this module. I consider one of the most important reasons why we want to communicate well is so that we can make friends. Not just those in a close circle around us, but friends everywhere, from every background, culture and religion. It’s really saddening to read in the news of people fighting, mud-slinging and abusing each other. I believe communication should bring us closer to one another in respect, not turn each other away in anger or hatred. That’s certainly something I’m going to be using my improved skills for in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Benedict!

    I want to thank you for being such a wonderful classmate! =) I really do enjoy listening to you give your presentations. You really are an excelent presenter!

    Yes I definitely agree with you that the workload for the module was indeed very heavy going. But nonetheless, I'm sure that all of us have indeed gained a lot from taking this module. The interaction in this class was indeed a whole new experience. It was actually one of the moments where I did not dread going to class as it was so enjoyable!

    Anyway, all the best on your final semester here! Lets keep in touch! I will be planning a gathering for the class sometime in June so lets hope most of us if not allof us can make it! =)

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benedict!

    Yes, it is a fun learning experience for me too. Still remember the "bus driver" ?

    I agree with you that communication should bring everyone closer to one another.

    Thanks Bryan for organizing the gathering! However, I can't make it. I'll be in USA for Work and Travel.

    Bryan, Benedict, all the best in your finals!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Benedict..
    Yep I agree wit u..the workload wad indeed heavy but yet it was such a fun module. And as for the mock interviews, haha I remember your one clearly since I was the one who asked you to give examples of '10 ways you can use a pencil other than for writing'. I was so amused when Ms Lim gave the question and I was wondering how you would handle it. If I was at your position, I would have gone speechless but you managed it really well.
    It was great to have you as a group-mate and considering all 3 of us were at the peak of our FYP work, I think we managed to help each other and do the work effectively, which I thought was wonderful =)
    Good luck for job hunt and I hope we'll be able to run into each other sometime. All the best for your exam tomorrow!

    Madhu

    ReplyDelete